- The main talking point of the day was that winger and former second round pick Jonah Gadjovich was lost on waivers to the San Jose Sharks:
Gadjovich was pulled off the ice by the Canucks and told that he was claimed by the Sharks.— Rick Dhaliwal (@DhaliwalSports) October 7, 2021
- There were mixed takes on the claim, with some thinking it a great failure by the organization, and others thinking it was not a big deal. I tend to think we won’t think about him in two years, but who knows.
There was a time when Lind and Gadjovich represented decent sized pieces in the Canucks cupboard but both are now gone in a matter of months. I still think both are in tough to be league regulars though https://t.co/IXZHPWUtv0— Blake Price (@justBlakePrice) October 7, 2021
More than anything, I hate the message sent by cutting Jonah Gadjovich this early. The Canucks identified a deficiency in his game (skating), and then he worked on it all summer, showing noticeable improvement.— Stephan Roget (@StephanRoget) October 7, 2021
All to get two preseason games and be thrown on waivers.
- In another pre-season contest, the Oilers beat the Canucks 3-2, with the Canucks getting goals from Quinn Hughes and Nic Petan [Canucks.com]
- Of course, it was the pre-season debut of Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes:
We lost but these guys were in the line up so we’ll take it as a win pic.twitter.com/iIJA2rMckz— Vancouver #Canucks (@Canucks) October 8, 2021
- In serious news, Zack MacEwen and Zack Kassian fought in the game, resulting in what looked like a serious injury for the Oilers’ winger:
Scary stuff, hope Kassian is okay. pic.twitter.com/JdwmZUEgZ5— Nick Alberga (@thegoldenmuzzy) October 8, 2021
- Legendary Canuck Gino Odjick has been inducted into the BC Sports Hall of Fame:
Big congrats to #Canucks legend, @ginodjick, on being inducted in the BC Sports Hall of Fame pic.twitter.com/aQ5BZjLPH2— Vancouver #Canucks (@Canucks) October 8, 2021
- The big news of the NHL world was the announcement that Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price will be entering the NHL/NHLPA Player’s Assistance Program.
Posted by Carey Price's wife Angela on IG. Credit to them for trying to help others by sharing their story. Here's hoping Carey gets the help he needs. pic.twitter.com/WLnKSCwqZk— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) October 7, 2021
- Avs head coach Jared Bednar has tested positive for COVID-19:
Head Coach Jared Bednar will not be behind the bench for the Avalanche’s next two preseason games against the Dallas Stars following a positive COVID-19 test.— Colorado Avalanche (@Avalanche) October 7, 2021
Assistant Coaches Ray Bennett and Nolan Pratt will coach the team until Bednar’s return. pic.twitter.com/Pw3xAbJTeg
- USA Hockey has announced their first three selections for their 2022 men’s hockey team:
THE FIRST THREE @88PKane@AM34@seth_jones3#TeamUSA | #WinterOlympics— USA Hockey (@usahockey) October 7, 2021
- And the Toronto Six are enjoying a more conventional start to their PHF season:
Toronto Six women start a more ‘normal’ second season in Premier Hockey Federation https://t.co/LWkentPuXz— The Globe and Mail (@globeandmail) October 7, 2021