The last 48 in sports, and the world, has felt like a science fiction movie.
With coronavirus now considered a global pandemic, most of the sporting leagues around the world have shut down.
News of the NBA suspending their season was just breaking as we wrapped our interview with one of the smartest dudes in hockey, Sean Tierney.
Crazy night with the NBA news breaking while @kylebhawan and @TrevBeggs were in the studio.— silkynfilthy (@silkynfilthy) March 12, 2020
We react to it and welcome @ChartingHockey ("Statsmaster" Sean Tierney) to SNF to talk WC race in the West + the Calder Race.
TUNE IN & increase that hockey IQ : https://t.co/uf6i1Q5to9 pic.twitter.com/dAGrsEkQ1l
Our reaction to the news was real, raw, and a little shell-shocked. We tried to balance that line between the seriousness of the transpiring events and the silly nature we bring to the show. We hope you tow that line with us because hey, what better time than now to slap in the headphones and listen to a podcast?
At the very least, you should tune into this interview just to listen to Sean’s thoughts on the game. He truly is one of the brightest minds in the game, and he shed some light on his journey to becoming an analytics expert in the hockey world.
We also got to the hockey talk as well, as we quizzed Sean about the Western Conference Wild Card race, the Calder Race, and the unpredictability of certain analytics.
Enjoy this awesome interview and in the meantime, chill out, stay safe, and stay positive.
Here’s a rundown of the episode.
- Coronavirus & book SZN (0:00)
- Sean Tierney joins the show (5:30)
- Sean’s journey to prominence (6:15)
- Analyzing the Western Conference playoff picture (9:15)
- Unpredictability and the 2019 NHL playoffs (16:30)
- Breaking down Hughes vs. Makar in the Calder Race (21:30)
- Reaction to NBA suspending the season (29:30)
- Who’s better, Jets or Canucks? (32:45)
- Meanwhile in Canadia: The Wiener Prank (37:30)
- Beauty of the Week: Reilly Smith (46:00)