Will hockey every work in Arizona?
That’s a question that can’t be answered in one podcast, but if you want to understand the history of this tumultuous franchise a bit better, there’s not many people better to talk to than The Athletic’s Craig Morgan, who’s been covering the Coyotes basically since inception.
It’s easy to forget that the Coyotes were actually a dangerous team after coming over from Winnipeg. They had Keith Tkachuk and Jeremy Roenick leading the team, and that duo propelled them to the playoffs for five of their first six seasons.
Since then, the Coyotes have missed the playoffs playoffs in 13 of the last 16 seasons, and a number of ownership changes have taken place since then.
So where did it all go wrong in Arizona? Is there hope for hockey in the desert? And will my favourite road trippin’ songs of the summer include The Doobie Brothers? We answer all these hard-hitting questions and more on the latest episode of Silky N’ Filthy.
Here’s the episode breakdown:
- The uncut bullshit intro (0:00)
- Favourite old Coyotes (7:30)
- Intro: Mixed feelings on the ‘Yotes (10:00)
- Craig Morgan from The Athletic joins the show (19:45)
- Remember when the Coyotes were good? (21:45)
- When things started to go south (23:45)
- Why the Coyotes are still in Arizona (29:15)
- A surprise city where the Coyotes almost ended up (31:15)
- The Phil Kessel Effect (36:10)
- The Paul Bissonnette Effect (40:45)
- Kyle and Trevor break down the Coyotes history (43:40)
- On being “Coyotes cool” (51:30)
- The Coyotes aren’t the black hole of the NHL (57:45)
NEW NEW NEW— silkynfilthy (@silkynfilthy) July 18, 2019
The Arizona Coyotes UNCUT feat: @craigsmorgan from @TheAthleticNHL
* @kylebhawan has sold his soul to Hockey novels for about a month. The Canadian Bias is real with this one
Apple: https://t.co/wR9kZyNXym pic.twitter.com/Sdvfe6L54G