Poor Patrick Laine. He was streets ahead of Auston Matthews in the Calder race, was caught up, has been in a ding dong battle with him for weeks for the rookie scoring lead - then gets crunched in open ice by Jake McCabe. It was a hard hit, but completely clean. NM wishes Laine a full, and sedate, recovery. Please don’t rush the kid back Winnipeg, okay?
So besides the concussion to a rising star, what else is happening around the league?
- I don’t know where Botch has been, he’s weeks behind with this piece on Horvat. [Province]
- It was from Saturday, but here are JeffPat’s six surprises from the season so far. Shocked that Burr’s resurgence isn’t one of them. [Province]
- The rumor was there back in the summer - Duchene or Landeskog are available, cough up. At the time NM discussed what we’d be prepared to offer. Read this, then comment below. Duchene looks like he wants to go, Landeskog like he’s desperate to stay. That tells you a lot. [Denver Post]
- Then there’s another piece that lets you see just how the Avs got to this point. Overpaying players who haven’t achieved anything? Sounds eerily familiar. [Denver Post]
- Bobby Ryan was a healthy scratch. I say healthy, that guy has looked stoned since 2006. [Sportsnet]
- The NHL is donating $5k to every NHL team to promote inclusiveness etc. I’d question why it’s only $5k per team and not $100k, but there you go. [NHL]
- Bruce Garrioch’s Saturday column shows that the Lightning have been linked to Ryan Spooner. Hands off Stevie Y! [Ottawa Sun]
- Alex Ovechkin is four goals shy of 1,000 career points. Time flew by. [NHL]
- I can’t help it, I still loathe the pair of them. But only as human beings, not as hockey players.
- Who leads the Edmonton Oilers in goals scored? McDavid? Draisaitl? Eberle? Nugent-Hopkins? Nope. Patrick Maroon, that’s who. The former Ducks pest has wangled his way onto McDavid’s wing, and is only two goals back from Auston Matthews for the league lead in 5-on-5 goals. [The Score]
- I have no real memory of this - but it’s been 13 years since Brian Boucher set the modern NHL’s shutout streak. [NHL]
Question of the day: What would you package up for either Matt Duchene or Gabriel Landeskog?