Today is one of those odd days where the Canucks are generating little by way of news. Maybe winning is a good thing after all!
Let’s dive straight in to the stories from around the league:
- Short on rumors today, but here’s something I 100% agree with:
I feel like I have been saying this a lot but... the #Canucks should claim Ty Rattie. https://t.co/mnzBSDF2fR— Ryan Biech (@ryanbiech) January 3, 2017
- My favorite charts in hockey. Unless they look like this.
The Vancouver Graphnucks— Sean Tierney (@ChartingHockey) January 4, 2017
They've regressed to the pack a little, especially in PDO. pic.twitter.com/MXEuFpp8mF
- Shea Weber returned to Nashville for the first time since he was traded to the Habs. He scored his 10th of the season, while PK Subban was not playing due to injury, and had another all-round great game. I say again, the Habs won the trade, now and forever. [PK Subban Tracker]
- Weber received a nice homecoming tribute:
Nashville Predators honored Shea Weber with a tribute video tonight In Tennessee #Preds #Habs pic.twitter.com/1HKgnEKMNW— Marina Molnar (@mkmolnar) January 4, 2017
- The Blue Jackets won again, making it 16 on the bounce and putting them into sole possession of the second-longest win streak in NHL history. If they win their next game, against Washington, they equal the 92/93 Penguins for the longest-ever win streak. They can then break the record with an 18th consecutive win against the Rangers. [NHL]
- Stat alert: and it’s not really surprising...
Alex Ovechkin of the @Capitals scored his 19th career regular-season overtime goal to tie Jaromir Jagr for the most in NHL history. pic.twitter.com/utU2Jsfq3O— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) January 4, 2017
- Sergei Bobrovsky is your NHL Player of the Month for December, followed by Evgeni Malkin and Devan Dubnyk. Long goalie winning streaks will do that for you. [NHL]
- Auston Matthews picked up Rookie of the Month. I am still convinced he’s going to be better than McDavid.
Auston Matthews, who led all rookies w/ 8-4—12 in 12 GP, has been named the NHL’s Rookie of the Month for December. https://t.co/qZIk6Ao9sg pic.twitter.com/RjdAKL4yfq— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) January 3, 2017
- Pieces like this make me retch. And they’re being written almost daily. [The Score]
- Our future is bright guys and gals:
#Canucks C prospect Adam Gaudette with 2A tonight - he now has 28 PTS (10-18-28) in 18 NCAA games— Ryan Biech (@ryanbiech) January 4, 2017
- I wonder what Mr Drance would make of this:
The Florida Panthers— Sean Tierney (@ChartingHockey) January 4, 2017
Good CF%, really poor SCF%, no luck.
Expect GF% to climb to meet xGF% as we go. pic.twitter.com/hpDNj6fhWq
- In case anyone round these parts actually cares, the league announced its All-Star Game captains: Carey Price, Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid and PK Subban are the fan-chosen saviours. I am definitely going to be missing this year’s snoozefest. [NHL]
Question of the day: How would you handle the goalie starts for the remainder of the season?