While Jim Benning’s comments yesterday were important to our Vancouver Canucks - we will not be trading away draft picks to help us with the playoff effort - that was all lost amid the fantastic achievement from Alexander Ovechkin. In his 880th career game, Ovie scored after just 35 seconds against the Penguins to notch his 1,000th career point.
Ovechkin becomes the second-fastest active player to reach the mark - behind only Jaromir Jagr - the 37th player to reach the mark with just one franchise, and the 84th player in history to reach 1,000pts. Finishing the game on 1,001pts, Ovie is 28pts away from equalling Alexei Kovalev for 74th all-time in points. Another 15 goals this season would see him tie Mike Modano for 24th all-time in goals. Let that sink in.
So from all of us here at Nucks Misconduct, hats off to Alex Ovechkin - the greatest modern-day sniper of all.
- We’ve been saying for weeks now that the Anton Rodin situation needs to be resolved. It is - Benning thinks he should play, Willie doesn’t. Oh dear. [Daily Hive]
- If you want to be depressed, read iMac’s piece on our PP. I triple dare you. [Province]
- Not that I want to relive it, but Pat Iversen of SB Nation has done a great job dissecting that Nashville winner the other day. [SB Nation]
- It’s hard not to agree - how can either Rodin or Boucher NOT get in this team? [Canucks Army]
- So...we may still be bad this year, but we ARE better than last year:
Did this earlier this season, but now we have a bigger sample. Here's the differences in score & venue adjusted CF% from last year. pic.twitter.com/FN3M3qjDPz— Platinum Seat Ghosts (@3rdPeriodSuits) January 11, 2017
- The NHL game recap for the Caps’ win is basically an Ovechkin love-fest. Which I love, because the guy is an incredible player and the only active player with even a dream of catching Wayne Gretzky for goals scored. [NHL]
- This was a nice touch:
Oh my god. What a privilege it is watching you play. #Ovech1Kin #CapsPens pic.twitter.com/5j47r70nDa— Kathy Polo (@katyapolo) January 12, 2017
- The Sharks made a boo-boo last night, forgetting to update their lineup and forcing them to play with 5 D - one of whom was making his NHL debut:
Tonight's scratch sheet had Martin in, Mueller out pic.twitter.com/J67zEtl6Ch— Kevin Kurz (@KKurzCSN) January 12, 2017
They lost too:
DeBoer answers, what happened with Mirco Mueller tonight? pic.twitter.com/wvraurdLpj— Kevin Kurz (@KKurzCSN) January 12, 2017
- I thought Stevie Y was meant to be a bad man? If so, why are the Lightning retiring Martin St Louis’ number this week? Exactly. It takes two to douche. [NHL]
- Ken Wharram died this week aged 84; he was a Blackhawks for 14 years, winning the Cup in ‘61. Our thoughts are with his family, and the Blackhawks organization. [Chicago Tribune]
- For those who will be watching - I won’t - they’ve meddled with the All-Star format AGAIN:
2017 Coors Light #NHLAllStar Skills Competition is now a matchup between each division with the winner selecting first opponent & game time. pic.twitter.com/Mv4nmYUnnp— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) January 11, 2017
Question of the day: Who reaches 1,000 points next - Henrik Sedin (on 996) or Sidney Crosby (on 983)?