Last night was some night for stat nerds, with a succession of notable achievements across the league. Let’s dive right into those, and the other news from our rivals.
- Start the day as you mean to go on: the media is slowly but surely beginning to catch on to the star that Bo Horvat is becoming. [The Score]
- Maybe this is why:
Bo Horvat is 24th in primary scoring.— Micah Blake McCurdy (@IneffectiveMath) January 10, 2017
- Looking ahead to tonight’s game in Nashville with Marc Weber, who I somehow missed joining The Province. Who is he? Is he the Weber this franchise needs? [Province]
- La la la la, fingers in ears, we can’t hear you... [Sportsnet]
- This Anton Rodin crap really needs to be resolved. Play him or send him back to Sweden, just stop messing him around. Please. [Province]
- Tell us something we don’t know...
.@RayFerraroTSN: #Canucks “caught with pants down” playing 5 D against Calgary #canuckson1040 https://t.co/BbyX11fdko— TSN Radio Vancouver (@TSN1040) January 10, 2017
- Roberto Luongo, long-time franchise goalie of our beloved Vancouver Canucks, last night moved into sole possession of 5th all-time in wins with 448. Only four goalies have more wins than Bobby Lou: Martin Brodeur, Patrick Roy, Ed Balfour and Curtis Joseph. With CuJo only 6 wins ahead of Lu, and Balfour only 36 ahead, it’s a safe bet to say that by the end of next season - barring injury - Lu will be sitting pretty in 3rd all-time. A legend. [The Hockey News]
- Alex Ovechkin scored career points 997, 998 and 999 against the Canadiens last night; he equalled Maurice Richard himself on 544 goals, and now stands just one measly point away from 1,000:
"It means I'm getting old," Alex Ovechkin on reaching significant career milestones.— Аrpon Basu (@ArponBasu) January 10, 2017
- Anze Kopitar scored just his 4th goal of the season yesterday - but in so doing, moved up into 6th in Kings’ franchise scoring, above a certain Wayne Gretzky. [The Score]
- And continuing with the stats: count Jesse Puljujarvi as the 3,275th draft pick of the Edmonton Oilers to have his development royally screwed by poor management and coaching:
The #Oilers have assigned Jesse Puljujärvi to the @Condors, recalled Anton Slepyshev & placed Jonas Gustavsson on waivers.— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) January 9, 2017
- Jaromir Jagr says he’s going to play until he’s 55. I’d love to see it - although even then, Gretzky’s records would be safe. Staggering to think that really. [North Jersey]
- Also, the guy is addicted to hockey:
Gotta keep those skates sharp, right @68Jagr?— Florida Panthers (@FlaPanthers) January 10, 2017
(sorry for ruining your take, @NHLNetwork) pic.twitter.com/6wC5EoBWwr
- John Tavares has never really struck me as an intelligent man. Here he proves it, by committing to the Islanders no matter how badly they are owned and managed. If I were him I’d be signing a $10m deal somewhere on the West coast. [News Day]
- We all knew Gerard Gallant was fired because Tom Rowe wanted to coach the team - this interview basically proves that. Gallant is a fine coach. [ESPN]
- In great news for fans, NHL teams will be limited to two jerseys next season. Fewer opportunities for cash grabbing. [Star Tribune]
Question of the day: What contract do you give Bo Horvat?