What a night the hockey world just had - Team USA were humbled once again by Team Canada, sending Coach Tortorella and his minions home with their tails between their legs. Recriminations began almost instantly, and the shadiest of shade was thrown by Phil Kessel in the aftermath. Meanwhile, Team Swede guaranteed a semi-final appearance with a 2-0 shutout of Team Finland - and guess who led that team? Find out below:
- I was originally 100% against the World Cup of Hockey. I'm now 100% for it. If for no other reason than seeing John Tortorella being ripped to shreds on social media for his bizarre statements, random line pairings, and overall gutlessness. Canada beat USA easily, 4-2, a game in which USA were totally outclassed. Patrick Kane couldn't do a thing to stop it; Ryan Kesler was anonymous; everything you could have hoped for, happened. Here's the recap for your viewing pleasure. [WCoH]
- Team Sweden rolls on into the last four. Loui Eriksson scored the insurance goal after Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin had teed up Anton Stralman with some outrageous Sedinery. On the international stage as well. Gotta love those twins, they are like no-one else we've ever seen. Enjoy that wizardry here. [WCoH]
- Phil Kessel won the hearts of all Canadian hockey fans with this tweet last night:
Just sitting around the house tonight w my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn't put my finger on it.— Phil Kessel (@PKessel81) 21 September 2016
In case anyone is wondering, Kessel was left out of the Team USA squad for the tournament. As were Tyler Johnson, Chris Kreider, Justin Faulk and Kevin Shattenkirk. All of whom should have been there.
- Aaron Ekblad is on his way home from the tournament after suffering either a 'mild' or 'minor' concussion. People who've never had one don't understand how concussions work, clearly. [Sportsnet]
- Ben Kuzma with a piece on Andrey Pedan. He'll stick. [Province]
- The Hockey Writers with a nice write-up on Emerson Etem. I agree, he's in line for a promising season. [Hockey Writers]
- David Booth is heading to the Ducks on a PTO. This is a roster with Ryan Kesler, Kevin Bieksa and Mason Raymond already. Surely they'd be better of spending their time re-signing Hampus Lindholm? [The Score]
- LEAGUE BIAS ALERT: Bargains amongst defenseman this time for NHL.com's fantasy hockey previews. No Canucks are on there. Apparently Radko Gudas qualifies for the number of meatheaded PIMS he'll pick up. [NHL]
- Who doesn't like seeing ref cam? [WCoH]
Question of the day: Why the hell would the Ducks sign David Booth to a PTO?