Last night saw the end of the World Cup of Hockey warm-up games. The next hockey game you see will likely be one of the tournament proper games - hooray! As we wait with baited breath for Saturday to arrive, let's look at what's happening around the league.
- WCoH warm-ups saw Canada beat Russia 3-2, thanks to a Ryan Getzlaf OT goal. This team is ready. [Sportsnet]
- WCoH's most exciting news: Team Europe not only managed to win a game, but they won big! A 6-2 thrashing of Sweden, chasing Henrik Lundqvist from the game thanks to a hat-trick from Leon Draisaitl. Sweden has a goal from Daniel, naturally. [Sportsnet]
- WCoH final update: North America lost to Czech Republic 3-2 last night. Can we call that an upset? I think we can. Auston Matthews scored, but Connor McDavid failed to register a point across any of the three warm-up games. Hand him that Oilers captaincy guys, he can't handle the responsibility yet. [Sportsnet]
- LEAGUE BIAS ALERT: Today's NHL.com list is for bounce-back players. Ryan Miller makes the backup list, amazingly. But when is he bouncing back to, 2010? He's only had one season above .916 since then. [NHL]
- If watching Brock Boeser tear up college hockey is your thing, take a butcher's at the CBS schedule. Plenty of Brock for you this season. [Hockey Writers]
- Ben Kuzma is on fire this week with his articles. Today he looks at Travis Green's summer. This will surely be his last season in the AHL. [Province]
- Is this the end of an era? This could well be the last time we see Jumbo Joe Thornton in a Team Canada jersey. [Salt Lake Tribune]
Question of the day: If the Canucks disappoint yet again this season, does Travis Green become head coach next season?