Not much to say today. No hockey games last night. It's like when the league doesn't play at Christmas. Only I'm devoid of extravagant presents right now.
I can, however, provide you all with some treats from around the league. Shall we dive in?
- WCoH news: John Tortorella doesn't like Mac Pacioretty much. Which confirms everything we've ever said about Torts not appreciating skilled players. [Sportsnet]
- WCoH news: Rickard Rakell is out, Patrik Berglund is in. Team Sweden just got weaker. [NBC]
- Can Brendan Gaunce make the roster this summer? He definitely has a good shot. [Province]
- Anton Rodin is the dark horse, although he is coming off a serious injury. I have him pencilled in ahead of Gaunce, but suspect Rodin may slide through waivers to start the season. [Province]
- LEAGUE BIAS ALERT: having been looked over on almost every single fantasy ranking list, including yesterday's sleeper picks, we now have the "deep" sleeper picks. And we STILL don't feature. Do Ben Hutton, Bo Horvat, Jake Virtanen, Brandon Sutter, Sven Baertschi, Nikita Tryamkin, Philip Larsen and Jacob Markstrom mean nothing? [NHL]
- Ottawa picked up what they needed this summer, according to Guy Boucher. Yes, Brassard is a good move. But the big acquisition was Boucher himself. Having a quality coach is going to transform that team. [NHL]
- Team still short a body or two? Need to overpay a declining vet? Here is a list of the best UFA forwards still on the market. [Hockey Writers]
- Pavel Datsyuk thinks there aren't enough skilled players in the NHL now. I place the entire blame solely at his skates, for abandoning us in our time of highlight reel need. [Detroit News]
- Lastly, from our SB Nation cousins, a review of NHL 17. I can't get over the Nucks not having Demko or Boeser on the roster. [Blueshirt Banter]
Questions of the day: Who makes the roster, Gaunce or Rodin? Or both? If both, does that mean Virtanen goes to Utica?