It's nearly over folks. Hockey returns next month, albeit in the form of the entirely pointless and uninteresting World Cup of Hockey. But I'd take the Kazakhstan 3rd tier if there could only be some hockey to talk about. Longest summer ever.
So what's happening around the league I hear you ask?
- In news no-one understands, the Coyotes bought out Antoine Vermette. What's he going to do, sign a league minimum deal in Chicago? John Chayka is picking up serious heat in the desert for this move. [NHL]
- Sam Gagner didn't sign in Vancouver. Proof for anyone doubting Jim Benning's intelligence. [NHL]
- In news no-one cares about (I hope), Evander Kane has pleaded not guilty to his charges. He's clearly guilty of not taking his career seriously enough though. With his talent, he really should be knuckling down. [CBC]
- In news we wish the Calgary press would take more seriously, Don Henderson may well have reffed his last NHL game. While I don't condone violence, if Dennis Wideman happens to get steamrollered in each and every one of the 82 games this season, I wouldn't lose any sleep. [Sportsnet]
- Oscar Klefbom stuck his foot in his mouth over the weekend with some exceptionally stupid comments about Taylor Hall. He's since stuck the knife into all of his team mates. Well, at least the good ones. [Edmonton Journal]
- That Vegas arena is really something. Take a look at some of the pics here. [Las Vegas Review Journal]
- Undrafted goalie Zach Sawchenko is going back to juniors to prove everyone wrong. I had him pegged as a 3rd round pick so I hope he has a great season. [Yahoo]
- Speaking of the draft, here are five prospects ready for their big entrance to the NHL. I could see Werenski having a Calder-esque season. [The Hockey Writers]
- More on the youth, as next week sees the Annual Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup take place. Canada is looking for its 9th - yes, 9th - consecutive win. Team roster is in the link; look out for Greg Meireles. [Team Canada]
- Is Rickard Rakell worth $4m? In this market, I'd say yes. But when guys like this are making $4m a season, you really have to wonder where the league is headed. [NBC]
- Finally, in case you didn't already love Bo Horvat more than your own children / parents / significant other, read on. [Vancouver Province]
Question for the day: Who puts up more points this season, Brandon Sutter of Horvat?