- Washington got things started in their march towards the 1st Cup in franchise history with a 2-0 win in Game 1 over the Philadelphia Flyers. The Caps withstood a 1st period where they had to kill off 3 straight penalties, then got a PP goal of their own in the 2nd from John Carlson, which proved to be the winner. Braden Holtby got the shutout, and Steve Mason was pretty damn good at the other end for the Flyers in the loss. Jay Beagle also scored for the Caps. The Flyers lost Sean Couturier to an upper body injury, and there's no word on his return.
- Meanwhile in Dallas, the Stars rolled to an easy 4-0 win over the Minnesota Wild. Jamie Benn, Patrick Eaves and Jason Spezza combined for 7 points, and Kari Lehtonen got the shutout to give the Stars a 1-0 lead and the news gets worse for Minnesota with Tyler Seguin expected back from his injury for Game 2. The game winner came from rookie Radek Faksa, as Minnesota learned early that The Faksa Life is not all about them...
- It was a wild one down in Florida as the Islanders outlasted the Panthers to win Game 1. The big story here was Thomas Greiss, who stopped 42 Florida shots in his playoff debut. The Islanders got goals from Brock Nelson, Frans Nielsen, Kyle Okposo, John Tavares and the eventual winner from Ryan Strome, while Teddy Purcell, Jussi Jokinen, and Reilly Smith with a pair replied for Florida.
- If you thought last night's LA/San Jose game was headed for OT after 2 periods, I can't blame you. Those teams went toe to toe for the first 40 minutes, and then 17 seconds into the 3rd, Joe Pavelski silenced the crowd in LA with the game winner to give the Shorks a 1-0 series lead. Pavelski scored twice, and got 2nd period goals from Brent Burns and Tomas Hertl, while Jake Muzzin, Jeff Carter and Trevor Lewis replied for the Kings.
- 4 games on the slate tonight, starting with game 2 of the Tampa Bay/ Detroit series. Tampa leads that one 1-0 after a 1-0 win on Wednesday night for the Lightning. The feeling is the Lightning stole that one, with Ben Bishop stopping 34 Red Wings shots for the shutout, and the scoring chances reflected this as well, 20-12 for Detroit. Look for the Wings to push back even harder and try to go back to Detroit evened up.
- For some reason, Game 2 of the Florida/ Islanders series goes tonight. Forget the Chicago media crybaby whining about starting an hour later, this is nonsense and a far bigger deal. That being said, look for 2 things tonight down in Sunrise: A bounce back game from Roberto Luongo and even more empty seats in the rink...
- St. Louis can tighten their grip on Chicago with a victory tonight, and they'd love to be able to go back to Chicago up 2-0. They will have to contend with Duncan Keith returning to the lineup tonight after his suspension for being a stick-swinging douche bag, so the Blues will want to keep their heads on a swivel.
- The final series of the opening round finally gets underway tonight as Nashville visits the cesspool that is Anaheim taking on the Ducks. It will boil down to goaltending in this one: Can Pekka Rinne finally prove himself in the post season, or can the unproven John Gibson get it done for the Ducks. Either way, here's to the underdog Preds taking out the d-bag Ducks....
GAME DAY BATTLE HYMN
MINISTRY may be gone, but Al Jourgenson is far from done. He's returned with a new project called 'Surgical Meth Machine' that's every bit as vicious as Ministry. Check out 'Tragic Alert' from the self titled debut album.