It was a tough weekend for Canucks fans. First we had a close 2-1 loss to the Flames, and then another 3-2 OT loss to the Sharks. Still, plenty of positives out there! At least all our players are signed, right? Let's take a look at what happened across the NHL this weekend:
- Briefest of brief recaps for the Flames game on NHL.com, along with highlights. [NHL]
- Same for the Sharks game - check out Rodin's goal. We'll see this a fair bit this season, hopefully. [NHL]
- Some Canucks have been impressing the brass. Tuomo Ruutu, Anton Rodin and Joe LaBate in particular. I honestly don't mind if all three make the team at this rate. Dump Dorsett in the AHL and scratch Burrows if necessary - these guys are busting a gut to get on the team.[Province]
- That link above also confirms that Alex Grenier has cleared waivers, and that Guillaume Brisebois was cut from camp along with Chad Billins. A shame for Brisebois, after his goal against the Flames.
- StecherMania is running wild. Watcha gonna do? [Province]
- Recap of the game from a San Jose perspective. That Labanc kid is getting on my nerves. [Mercury News]
AROUND THE NHL
- Johnny Gaudreau remains unsigned, with less than two weeks until puck drop on Game 1. Is anyone here disappointed by that? The kid is not eligible to be offer-sheeted, and does not hold arbitration rights - essentially, if he wants to play, he needs to sign a lesser contract, because the Flames are not going to hand over the safe keys to a player with no rights. [Sportsnet]
- James Wisniewski had his PTO with the Lightning cancelled. Does he get an NHL job this season? I doubt it:
- Finally, former Vancouver Giant Brendan Gallagher is due a breakout season, apparently. Wouldn't that be his fourth or so? I've lost count. Basically, small guy = good at hockey. [Sportsnet]
Question of the day: What does Johnny Gaudreau's contract end up as? I am saying 8 years, $6.9m AAV.