clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Canucks limp home after 4-1 loss to Jets, losing six out of seven games on road trip

Closes eyes...there's no place like home...there's no place like home...

Bruce Fedyck-USA TODAY Sports

The road trip from hell is finally over, and it was not pretty for the Canucks.

On Wednesday night, the Canucks fell 4-1 to the Winnipeg Jets at the MTS Centre. As a result, Vancouver finished the road trip 1-4-2, earning just three out of a possible 14 points.

Mark Scheifele and Drew Stafford led the way for the Jets, each scoring a pair of goals. Daniel Sedin scored the lone goal for the Canucks, registering his 899th career point.

1st Period

Early in the first period, Luca Sbisa was sent off for an illegal check to the head against Nikolaj Ehlers, putting Winnipeg on the power play. Vancouver would get a great scoring opportunity when Jannik Hansen forced a turnover, creating a breakaway for himself. However, Hansen wasn't able to beat Ondrej Pavelec as the game remained scoreless.

Moments later, with the Jets still on the power play, Mark Scheifele came up with a rebound shot that he was able to slip through a screen and under the arm of Ryan Miller, putting the Jets up 1-0 at 5:55 in the opening period. It was Scheifele's first goal in six games.

It was a scrappy first period as the two teams combined for 20 penalty minutes, including seven penalty minutes from Luca Sbisa in as many minutes to start the night. Shortly after Sbisa's hit against Nikolaj Ehlers, the Canucks defenseman dropped the gloves with Anthony Peluso.

Ironically, before the game, Sbisa talked about how he doesn't enjoy fighting.

It was also just the fourth time this season that Winnipeg has led after the first period.

2nd Period

The Canucks had a great scoring chance in the first minute of the period. After Alex Burrows couldn't capitalize on a breakaway opportunity, Dustin Byeuglien knocked Pavelec out of position, leaving a wide open net for Bo Horvat. However, Horvat couldn't get a handle on the puck and missed the opportunity to tie the game.

Just under midway through the period, Daniel Sedin tied things up for the Canucks on the power play. Alex Burrows took a pass right in front of the crease and quickly dumped it back to Daniel, which was able to get Pavelec out of position and open the net for Daniel's seventh goal of the season.

Late in the second period, the Jets reclaimed the lead. After Ryan Miller kicked away a shot on net, Drew Stafford was positioned perfectly in front of the crease to put Winnipeg up 2-1 at 17:29. It was Stafford's first point in 11 games, and you could see the sense of relief on his face after the goal.

Third Period

In the third period, Ben Hutton drew a pair of penalties (hooking at 3:02 and holding at 10:12). The Canucks weren't able to do anything with either power play as their special teams struggle continued. On the latter penalty, Ryan Miller tried to clear a puck, but sent it over the boards in his own zone. The mistake ended Vancouver's power play early and made it 4-on-4 in a 2-1 game.

Late in the game, with the Canucks hanging on by a thread, Scheifele added his second goal of the night off a rebound opportunity to ice the win for Winnipeg, putting the Jets up 3-1 at 17:15. Drew Stafford also scored his second goal with the net empty, making it a 4-1 game.

The Canucks now head home to Rogers Arena to take on the defending Stanley Cup champions as the Chicago Blackhawks roll into town on Saturday. Last year, the Canucks took two out of three from the Blackhawks, including a 4-1 win at Rogers Arena on November 23.