I'm not sure what part of last night's 5-1 thrashing of the previously unbeaten Habs was the best for me: The Canucks putting it out of reach in the 1st period, Carey Price getting ventilated for 5 goals, not having to hear their fans chant for pretty much all night, or seeing the masses of rouge, blanc et bleu heading for the exits early? Maybe it was Luca Sbisa scoring the game winner? Or maybe it was Radim Vrbata's cheeky goal, smacking it mid-air and moving it past Price? Either way, the Canucks played a pretty solid game, rising to the occasion against the best team in the NHL.
The game was a tad costly, as the Canucks may be without Brandon Prust for a while (and wasn't he having a hell of a game before that horrifying ankle turn?). Fortunately the team is saying that an x-ray came back negative, though there will be an MRI to determine the extent of the injury. Since I am sure you've already taken a look at our post game wrap, here's what else is being said about last night in the Morning Links:
FRESH HOT LINKS
- Tommy Drance's 5 takeaways from last night's win
- Willie fired up the blender last night, and the results were pretty good...
- The VanCity Buzz 6 Pack looks at last night
- Statement game? Statement game, at least as far as Jared McCann and Jake Virtanen are concerned
- Okay Mooney, we get it. You called it. Sheesh...
- With Botch taking a night off, our buddy Wyatt Arndt (aka the Stanchion) has the Provies covered...
- And here's what they had to say over at Eyes On The Prize...
AROUND THE LEAGUE
- With Getzlaf out for his
hair plug surgery appendectomy, the Ducks woes continue
- After a bad start, the Kings are rolling. It's as gross as you think it is...
- Want to beat the Penguins? Just make sure you've got the lead after 40 minutes.
- Yeah, let's revisit John Davidson in a few months and get his thoughts on Torts then, hmm?
- The least surprising news of the early season...
And finally, a gratuitous nod to my hockey pool team
Injury Update: #FlaPanthers Jaromir Jagr is day-to-day (Lower Body).— Florida Panthers PR (@FlaPanthersPR) October 28, 2015
KICKASS METAL TUNE OF THE DAY
If you've never seen it before, AV Club's Undercover series gives you a ton of different bands doing some pretty remarkable cover tunes. GWAR have been a huge part of this, having contributed their destruction of Kansas's "Carry On Wayward Son" in the past. They're back, and they're covering Cyndi Lauper's "She Bop", and you are so welcome.
- Canucks trounce the Habs 5-1.
- Game Preview: Montreal Canadiens vs. Vancouver Canucks
- Canucks Are 2/3rds of a Home Ice Powerhouse
- Canucks blow 2-0 3rd period lead, fall to Red Wings 3-2 in overtime
- Lazy-ass Game Day Coffee- Oct 24/15