It's 2am. You have an article to write. You just played 3 hours of hockey tonight. And the only food you've had since was an English muffin with peanut butter on it. Why that must mean it's FRIDAY! Ever wondered what a Stanchion is like on next to no sleep? IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE I STILL MAKE SWEET PASSES TO BIEKSA.
Anyways, before the delirium sets in, we should move along, so get ready to feast on some of the latest news and happenings around the NHL, some info on that local hockey team the Canucks, and probably an Aaron Rome joke or two.
Ahem. Why did Aaron Rome cross the road? It doesn't matter, he iced the puck anyways.
Read more after the jump!Vancouver Canuck News:
- The Kurtenbloggers team up with Puck Daddy to create Kurckenbloggers, which if I am correct, is a move used by Ryu in Street Fighter. They cover a variety of topics on the subject of your Vancouver Canucks. Except instead of it being on their website, it's on Puck Daddy's website. Criss Angel approves this magic. [Puck Daddy]
- Ed Willes calls out the NHL for better handling of diseases like mental depression, cites the MLB as leaders in the industry in this regard. It will be tough for many in the NHL to break out of that idea of "being a man" and sucking it up to play, instead of going on the IR for mental disorders. I would hope people can use Rypien's passing as a lesson against outdated ways of thinking. [The Province]
- Copper and Blue uses eyes of newt, dragon bone, and a complex mathematical formula to discover they don't give Burrows enough credit [Copper and Blue]
NHL News and Notes:
- Brendan Shanahan does his best to assure everyone he is ready for the role of being the NHL's new sheriff. "Oh, Collie was great about training me up on the job. I was told the Greg Campbell rules 1 through 79, as well as how to use code words in e-mails. So instead of telling people to "remember that when I'm a GM" I tell them "remember I like marshmallows in my hot chocolate when I'm a GM." I'm pretty sure this was the type of codes used to win World War 2." explains Shanny. [The Hockey News]
- Steven Stamkos sees some kid one up him in a breakaway contest. Right in the middle of being interrogated for not sweating enough, Stamkos let out an explosive "Oh!" of delight as a child waved his stick in the air like a magical wand and scores a nice goal on what looks to be a lost child in net, wearing no goalie gear to speak of. Said Stamkos of the goal "I've talked to some people. We're arranging an accident for him in the morning. Nobody one ups Stammer." before being quickly rushed away by PR [NHL.COM]
- Logan Couture inks a new two year deal with the San Jose Sharks. When asked why they didn't offer him a 3 year deal or longer, Doug Wilson replied "We only give three year deals to people who can track the puck properly...." [Fear the Fin]
Off The Stanchion Link:
- Why you heff to be so sad, Sami Salo? [Deviant Art]
Video of the Day:
Bulis Piggyback and Interference Penalty (via nic876)
The Piggyback. You already know what this is. God bless you Jan.
I can't decide if my favorite part is Larschied being so excited and giggly about the piggyback, Larschied's depressed "Oh man" at the very end of the video, or the fact that I have never seen one player try so valiantly to get a penalty on one shift than Bulis did on this one.