No re-signings by the Canucks today...yet. But if there are I'll give them their own post plus put the quick update at the top of this post. So what else is happening around the NHL? A fair bit actually. Some rosterbation fantasies were squashed while others came to life. Here is a list of what's happening, with the top of the list being the most recent (not in exact chronicle order).
- So what free agents are left after today? Check it out. Rosterbate like there ain't no tomorrow!
Jagr's agent Petr Svoboda is talking to more teams than just the Penguins, Rangers and Red Wings. He says Jagr will make up his mind "in the next few days." Haha, yep draw it out. We've been there before with Mats Sundin.
- From Cap Geek on Twitter (as of 7:50 pm): Top five cap payrolls heading into UFA period: #Penguins, #Sabres, #SJSharks, #NHLFlames and #Flyers ... in that order.
- The Ducks will not re-sign D Andreas Lilja, F Brad Winchester and F Jarko Ruutu. Teemu Selanne underwent knee surgery. (OC Register on Twitter)
- No contracts for Jan Hejda and especially James Wisniewski in Columbus yet.
- Christian Ehrhoff's deal with the Sabres is a reported 10 year deal worth $40 million! Bettman's ears just perked up. I wonder how front-loaded that deal is. UPDATE: Bobby Mac tweets: Year 1: $8M signing bonus, $2M salary; Year 2: $5M SB, $3M sal. That's $18M in 1st 2 yrs, or $15M before puck drops on 12-13 season. #tsn Holy effing signing bonuses! Then...Year 3: $4M; Year 4: $4M, Year 5: $4M; Year 6: $4M; Year 7: $3M; Year 8; $1M; Year 9: $1M, Year 10: $1M. Modified NTC. Cap hit=$4M/yr. #tsn
Chris Johnston from the Canadian Press tweeted earlier that it Sounds like there's nothing imminent between Winnipeg and Andrew Ladd on a new contract. Excuse me, I need to go find a washroom..or a bush...
- @EJHradek_NHL: Holland says he's been told that Jagr is somewhere in North America. Wow.
- @tpanotchCSN: Flyers will NOT submit an offer sheet on Stamkos. It's over.
- 2:22 pm PST: Bob (not Bub) McKenzie tweets: Sure sounds like Christian Ehrhoff is close to being a Buffalo Sabre. Will update when it's confirmed.
- Ken Holland spoke to Jaromir Jagr's agent today. The Pens are still waiting for a response from the Jagr camp on the deal they put forth. Expect no answers on this "pathetic" issue until
Avalanche sign D Ryan O'Byrne to a 2-year, $3.6 million deal. They also extended the contract of D Matt Hunwick.
- The Avalanche will retire Peter Forsberg's jersey on opening night. Well-deserved of course. But I was wondering if they should retire his spare body parts instead.
- So Colin Fraser, who was the player who went to the Kings in the Ryan Smyth trade, was medically cleared by the Oilers' medical staff prior to the trade. Unfortunately, the Kings' doctors found that Fraser has medical issues requiring surgery (unhealed fracture / cyst in his ankle). Lovely. I'm sure some form of compensation will be figured out there.
Darryl Sydor is the new assistant coach under Mike Yeo in Minnesota. The coaching staff is now complete (Darth Vader voice)
- Christian Ehrhoff is talking to former teammates who played/play for the Sabres to see what the situation is like there. File that under "who gives a shit?"
- The Sharks re-signed restricted free agent forwards Jamie McGinn and Frazer McLaren to 1 year deals today.
- The bastard Blackhawks signed D Steve Montador to a 4-year, $11 million contract. So much for one of my hopefuls.
- The Hurricanes broke a few of our hearts by re-signing F Jussi Jokinen to a 3-year $9 million contract.
- Rangers extended the contract of F John Mitchell.
- The Predators bought out JP Dumont's ludicrous $4 million salary.
- The Blues signed T.J. Oshie to a 1-year $2.35 million contract.
- Oilers re-sign D Ladislav Smid to a 2-year $4.5 million deal. Oilers also put Sheldon Souray on unconditional waivers, as in..GTFO!
- Did you watch Game 7 of the Finals on the big screen TV on Georgia Street? Well check out this massive win of a picture. It's made up of 216 photos so you can zoom in and find yourself or scope out others (sicko).