After Game 1, some people were calling a sweep in the series. I gave you this message in the next day's Squid:
Be warned, though: don't get too cocky now, since the next game won't be that easy.
Although many of you followed my advice, some of you obviously didn't, still calling the sweep while the Canucks were struggling to even stay in the game last night. If you're one of these people, and you're extra miserable about the loss this morning, don't ask me for sympathy, because it's your own damn fault for being cocky. In fact, this sums up the situation perfectly.
Although the Canucks got off to a very strong start by scoring 2 goals in the first 7 minutes, the rest of the game was all Blackhawks. At first, the Canucks defense and Roberto Luongo were able to hold them off, but the Blackhawks proved to be too much. The Canucks forwards weren't much of a help, getting only 13 shots on Antti Niemi in the 2nd and 3rd periods combined and having no sustained pressure. Through most of the 3rd period, the only reason why the Canucks were still in the game was because Luie was standing on his head. The only upside to last night: at least they're going to GM Place with a 1-1 series tie, rather than being down 2-0 to the Hawks.
Links after the jump.
- Recaps of last night's 4-2 misery. (NHL, Yahoo, Canucks, Copper & Blue, Vancouver Sun, Second City Hockey)
- The other game yesterday saw the Bruins beat the Flyers 3-2 to take a 2-0 series lead to Philly. (NHL, Stanley Cup of Chowder, Broad Street Hockey)
- Today, at 4:00 pm PST, the Canadiens host the Penguins. (NHL, Pensburgh, Habs Eyes on the Prize)
- And at 4:30 pm PST, the Red Wings host the Sharks, and try to get back into that series. (NHL, Fear The Fin, Winging It In Motown)
- For those of you who missed the news last night, 4 more Moose players were called up to Vancouver: Evan Oberg, Guillaume Desbiens, Mario Bliznak, and Sergei Shirokov. (Canucks)
Mikael Samuelsson and Mason Raymond are still honourable mentions. Christian Ehrhoff? Not so much.... (Puck Daddy)
- Top 10 beards of the playoffs so far. A certain ex-Canuck menace (who is still somehow in the league) tops the list... (Puck Daddy)
- The Bruins bear is at it again, and Philly's women are the victims. (Puck Daddy)
- More pics from the road trip. (Canucks: Day 3, Day 4)
- Yes, a shark has now been thrown. (Puck Daddy)
- MSNBC and NBC Chicago believed a parody of Kyle Wellwood and Shane O`Brien planning a pizza crawl in Chicago was actually true! LMFAO!!! (Original blog post at Hockey Independent) UPDATE: Just as I posted the link here, MSNBC removed their story. However, NBC Chicago kept their story up, and the editor just added a comment reporting the mistake.
- Top 10 Stubborn Sports Fans? AskMen.com recently posted their finding, and 3 of the top 10 are Canadian NHL teams. Here's a nice shocker though: no Canucks!!! (Puck Daddy)
Throw any more links in the comments.