You know what's miserable about exams? I had to miss all the series clinchers last night to write a differential equations final exam at 7:00 pm PST. Of course, just as I was starting my exam, the Canucks found out who their second round opponent will be. Yes, it is what we were all anticipating: we get the Blackhawks. By beating the Predators last night, Chicago earned themselves a matchup with Vancouver for the 2nd round, for the 2nd year in a row. We all know what happened last year, and about the strong rivalry that is growing between the 2 teams. Will the Canucks get revenge this year? I don't have that answer. But what I can tell you is that this should be another very exciting series. I was planning to encourage you all to visit the SBNation Hawks blog Second City Hockey, but reading through all the comments I missed last night, it looks like almost everyone's figured that one out already.
By the way, for all you visitors coming over, I might as well introduce myself like WAACH did in the coffee. I am Missy (not revealing my real-life name), and I have been part of the NM publishing crew for about 2 weeks now. Many of you have seen me jumping around all the other sites as NM's "ambassador". Just recently, I started posting these Bits of Squid, which are daily links to good hockey reads around NHL-following sites. I cover the basic recaps for most games (individually for the playoffs, in one general link for the regular season), Canucks news, and other interesting stuff. I don't do that much analytical stuff, I leave that to Sean, Yankee, and WAACH.
Links after the jump.
- Blackhawks beat the Predators 5-3 to win the series and earn a 2nd round matchup with the Canucks. (NHL, Second City Hockey, On The Forecheck)
Bruins edged the Sabres 4-3 to win their series and move on to face either the Flyers or the Penguins in the next round. (NHL, Stanley Cup of Chowder, Die By The Blade)
Jaroslav Halak pulled off a show as the Canadiens beat the Capitals 4-1 to force a Game 7. (NHL, Japer's Rink, Habs Eyes on the Prize)
- Just the one game today: Coyotes host the Red Wings in Game 7 of their series. This game will determine who gets to play the Sharks in the next round. (NHL, Five For Howling, Winging It In Motown)
- So, what went wrong for the Sabres? (Bleacher Report, via NHL)
- Screw respect, the Coyotes just want to advance. (NHL)
- Remembering the Senators, through the eyes of PPP and Chemmy.... (Puck Daddy)
- Wow, Caps fans must be really freaking out right now.... (Washington Post) UPDATE: Steckel Me Elmo has informed us that the Caps boards are a horrible misrepresentation of the fanbase. Sorry about that.
- Hey look, some 2nd round predictions already! (Vancouver Sun, The Province)
- The NHL Foundation Player Award finalists are Dustin Brown, Mike Green and Ryan Miller. (NHL)
- Here we go, the Kings eulogy. (Puck Daddy)
- A look back at some cartoons from Round 1. (Battle of California)
That's all I've found so far. I know for certain more links will come later on today, so if you find more throw them in the comments. Feel free to use this as an open discussion thread.