I have said many times how I didn't pay attention to the Canucks until after the lockout. My real focus on the Canucks didn't start until the 2005-2006 season. However, before that, I still had exposure to Canucks hockey from my dad having the games on all the time. Therefore, I was well aware of the "West Coast Express" line of Markus Naslund, Brendan Morrison, and Todd Bertuzzi.
Today is the day that Markus Naslund will be honoured in a way that only Trevor Linden and Stan Smyl have been honoured before. Today is the day we retire his #19. Although I missed most of his excellence, I have heard the stories of his glory. I will be honest: I did question his worthiness when the plans to retire his jersey were revealed last summer. However, after seeing all the tributes and special messages on the Canucks website leading up to today, I have now seen that he was truly a remarkable player and a very worthy recipient of this honour.
So, Markus, I raise my glass to you. Congratulations, and thank you.
(Links after the jump, as always.)
- Canucks.com preview for tonight's game will be added when it's up. Something sliding under the radar right now is that Mattias Ohlund is making his first visit to Vancouver since he left the team.
- Friday's results, and Saturday's schedule. If you have the television capabilities, the Maple Leafs - Canadiens game at 4:00 on CBC will also be shown in 3D.
- Conference standings. Uhoh, the Avalanche are only 1 point behind us again....
- It sounds like the talks are back on between the Kings and Bruins over a possible Marco Sturm deal.
- Sounds like Jordan Staal re-broke that bone in his hand. You know, that kid has been awful unlucky this year...
- Yes, Mike Gillis did sit down for an interview with Kristin Reid yesterday.
- PK Subban is quickly learning that style isn't everything in the NHL.
- Ranking hockey's dirtiest 5 plays.
- You know, the enthusiasm Brian Burke had in Vancouver and Anaheim may not be working so well in Toronto....
The trends are changing for what is team captain material.