GAME TIME: 4:00 PST
TV: Canucks PPV
THE BULLIES: Broad Street Hockey
Update: 12:30 PM PST: Roberto Luongo will start again tonight, leading some to speculate that Andrew Raycroft will start against the Hurricanes on Saturday "morning". I'd say that is a fair assessment.
Update: 12:05 PM PST: There is a lot of pressure on the Flyers right now. They had a 4-7-1 record in November after storming out of the gates with an 8-2-1 record in October. Personally, I think they'll snap out of it and make some noise soon.
Update: 9:32 AM PST: Danny Briere, who has missed time with the flu, will return to the Flyers' lineup tonight. Simon Gagne (abdominal -hernia surgery) is still about 3 weeks away from returning.
How about that game against the Devils? The Canucks have to be joyous on the quick plane trip to Philly right now. They put on a hell of a clinic against the Devils.
- 5 points for the Sedins and Burrows combined.
- 1 goal and 2 assists for Alexander Edler.
- Sami Salo scores his first goal of the season!
- 1 goal in 12:14 played for Jannik Hansen. Well played, sir.
- Roberto Luongo was better than Martin Brodeur, but don't let that taint your Team Canada starting goalie prediction.
- Martin Brodeur allowed 5 goals against for the first time since the Devils' first game of the season against......the Philadelphia Flyers. True story. How ironic.
- Shane O'Brien did NOT take even 1 minor penalty but was a -1. Still, I thought he played well.
- Patrick Elias: 0 points. Zach Parise: 0 points. So many other goodies here.
The Canucks improved to 5-8-0 on the road, and are now only 1 point away from 8th spot in the West. Now comes a huge test for them: playing the Flyers in a back-to-back situation, where they are 2-3 this season.
-The Flyers have had 4 days off.
- Brian Boucher will play in their net instead of Ray Emery. The Flyers are saying they are "riding the hot hand" by playing him. From the Flyers' site: Boucher played just once in the Flyers’ first 17 games, losing 4-1 to San Jose on October 25 at the Wachovia Center. Since then, he has led the team to a 3-2 win in Los Angeles on Nov. 18; stopped 13 of 14 shots in relief of Emery on Nov. 23 in Colorado; and made 28 saves on 29 shots in a 2-1 win over the Islanders on Nov. 25 in addition to last Saturday’s performance. In his last 4 games played, Boucher has a 2.01 GAA and a .930 save percentage. He is 2-3 in his 5 starts for Philadelphia this season.
- The Canucks went 0-for-1 on the PP against the Devils. New Jersey went 0-for-2. New Jersey, like I mentioned before, don't have a great blueline presence. The Flyers do. Like him or not, Chris Pronger has 4 goals and 18 points with his new team this year. Watch out for him, plus Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn and Matt Carle on the D.
- The Flyers are rough and tough, so I would expect that Alain Vigneault ices the same lineup against Philly, keeping team toughness intact.
Vancouver started their road trip with a bang. Now...can they keep it up? We shall see. More updates to come.