October 23, 1998 - How annoying is this one? Mark Messier scores his 600th career goal against none other than Kirk McLean who was playing for Florida at the time. Vancouver won 5-0.
For shits and giggles, here are some noteworthy moments from that game:
- Todd Bertuzzi scored two goals.
- Alexander Mogilny added a goal and three assists.
- Markus Naslund scored the other goal
- It was Florida's first loss of the year (Note: Neither team made the playoffs that year)
- The Florida crowd of 18,070 (!) gave Messier a standing ovation
- Coach Mike Keenan said, "I am one of the lucky coaches in the league...I have been very fortunate to have the opportunity to coach him, here in Vancouver and in New York. He never ceases to amaze me. He is the consummate team player." (Note: This lucky coach was fired three months later)
- The Panthers fired 35 shots but couldn't beat Garth Snow and his tire-size pads.
Messier retired with 694 goals, good enough for 7th best of all time. And did you know, of all the 17 players who have scored 600 goals or more, only one remains active more or less: Brendan Shanahan. I believe he'll take your phone call right now if you need some scoring help (wink, wink).