You know the drill. It's the middle of July. Nothing is happening. But never fear: there's only 88 days until the season opener. Something should happen before then.
For now here's some news and views to kick off your boring week.
- Luongo lost in poker. Cue the "folded under pressure" barbs in three...two...one... [Puck Daddy]
- In other Luongo news, his jokes go over everyone's heads. Good. If one guy deserves to troll reporters for a few weeks, it's Lui. [National Post]
- Eddie Lack has the best save % for a AHL goalie against NHL shooters. Golf clap. [NHL Numbers]
- What have the Wolves been up to this summer? [The Instigator]
- Ribeiro is a rapper. Sure. [CSN Washington]
- Shane Doan is still courting...everyone. [Mercury News]
- What notable free agent centers are left? Arnott, Langkow and Moore. [THN]
- How does the pending CBA mess affect Weber's future in Nashville? [Examiner]
- "Does free agency build championship teams?" [THW]
- Now we know: if you want to recruit a high end free agent to your gloomy market, have one of the worst baseball teams help you. [Pro Hockey Talk]
- Pudge actually turned down a two-year deal in favor of a single season with the Jets. [Winnipeg Free Press]
- "Goons get all the fucking honorifics in hockey. So brave! So tough! So selfless! Bullshit. Where is the fucking honor in that? Where is the courage? What is so selfless and noble about sneaking up behind skill and destroying it? In fact, you know what? If anything, that sounds a bit like cowardice to me, because it’s doing a kind of harm to others that you never have to face yourself." [Backhand Shelf]
- How about a hockey team in Las Vegas? (quick answer: no way) [Las Vegas Sun]
- Off topic: probably the only blockbuster movie you need to see this summer - The Dark Knight Rises - hits the theaters on Friday. Did you know that out of respect for Heath Ledger they won't mention the Joker throughout the entire movie? Similarly you won't hear the word "Catwoman" either. [IMDB]