Hey, there's Alexander Sulzer! Also shown: a Colorado player in his normal position. (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)
With the exception of Sturm and Nolan's PTO, most of Vancouver's offseason moves have been very quiet. Consider the newest ginger Alexander Sulzer, an inconsistent mobile puck-mover with 62 NHL games under his belt. With only one goal and seven points his stats aren't amazing, but to be fair Sulzer was buried in the Nashville's defensive factory; some were bummed to see he leave (check the comments). Assuming the Canucks start handing out defensive slots like free candy again - and assume a sniper has taken out Tanev/Rome/Alberts - is Sulzer a suitable third pairing option? Or deserving of a trail run manning the PP?
At the same time remember the injury-riddled Ryan Parent? If you blinked you missed his four games for Vancouver last year in which he looked painfully out of game shape. However if you ignore last season Parent does have 102 games played with Philadelphia (including their Cup run in 2010) where he averaged close to sixteen minutes a game. He certainly won't see PP time, but he remains a third line, stay-at-home option. Does he still have something left in the tank to impress Vigneault?
If cap concerns come up, Sulzer's $700,000 has an inside track to Parent's $925,000 (4th highest of the prospects behind Hodgson, Sweatt and Schroeder).
The gun's to your head: who are you more excited to see in camp? Also try and ignore the funny that both Sulzer and Parent were the 6/7 defenseman in Nashville last year before we tossed them SOB. Small world.
Some news and notes:
- A brief look at the new Canucks troops.
- Which Sedin will score more next season?
- Jeff Angus has four ideas for how the team should approach Keith Ballard this season.
- Hating on Carcillo, the PITB way.
- The Canucks sneak in once during the top ten most lopsided losses in Colorado history.
- The Cup is in Abbotsford this weekend. Everyone chill the fuck out!
- More finger-crossing for what Owen Nolan may bring to camp.
- Justin Bourne looks at how to pass the puck so your teammates won't hate you (take a guess what image leads the piece).
- If the Preds move Weber, should Suter be their next captain?
- Are players already trying to run away from Winnipeg?
- Via Kukla: Will the NHL ever have a female ref?
- OT: The darkest planet EVER has been discovered.
- OT: ...and you think your job stinks?