Slow, lumbering defencemen converted to forward, suspension videos, advanced stats, big news for Canada's largest market, inappropriate celebrations, and Angry Birds! It's all after the jump.
Nice little comeback for the boys in Montreal last night. The Canucks were dominant through the 3rd period and into OT. I thought Hamhuis, Hansen, and Raymond in particular were great. Hodgson also scored a nice goal and the shootout winner, despite only getting 10:41 of ice-time (only skaters with less were Weise and Sweatt). Luongo deserves a lot of credit as well, he really buckled down after that horrible 3rd goal and made some key saves.
Vancouver Canucks news:
- The Andrew Alberts 4th line experiment was an unmitigated disaster. SEND HIM TO KALAMAZOO! I love AV as a coach, but sometimes he just makes you scratch your head. Here's hoping either Higgins is ready to go for Saturday, or Mancari or Duco are given a call-up.
- Kevin Porter has been suspended 4 games for his knee-on-knee hit on Booth. This feels like the right call to me. "What is especially troubling about this hit is the distance Porter travels with his knee extended in this position." Well said, Shanahammer. Here's the video. [CBC]
- Cam Charron drops knowledge on advanced stats. This is a great intro for anyone looking for more information on the subject. [Legion of Blog]
- I meant to post this yesterday, but there are some great photos from the Canucks' visit to BC Children's Hospital. Just makes you feel good about the team and the contributions they make outside the rink. [Canucks.com]
- Bell and Rogers have reportedly bought a 75% stake in MLSE, who own the Toronto Maple Leafs and Raptors. Bell owns CTV, who in turn owns TSN, and Rogers owns Sportsnet. So, the Canadian media will own the Leafs? I...can't even wrap my head around that. Wouldn't this mean the media will basically own Brian Burke and Ron Wilson? Oh, that is too good. [The National Post]
- Weird one in Columbus last night: Jeff Carter scored a goal, but no one realized it for over 2 minutes. The Predators were then down 3-1 in the 3rd but ended up coming back and tying with 13 seconds left, then Colin Wilson scored to win it in OT for the Preds. [NHL.com video]
- Artem Anisimov scored last night for the Rangers and then pretended his stick was a shotgun. It was cool when Selanne did it because he "shot" at his glove; in this case Anisimov points his stick right at Vinny Lecavalier. Not cool. [Kukla's Korner]
- On the suspension front: Leino got 1 game for his wandering elbow, Porter got 4 as mentioned above, and Andy Sutton is out indefinitely pending a hearing. [NHL.com]
- Derek Roy tweeted this photo last night: a sushi roll designed to look like Angry Birds. That is just awesome. I want to go to there. [Twitter]