How fitting that it's a Bieksa shot in overtime that finishes the Sharks again. This one was a little more pretty, with a beauty tip off the stick of Andrew Ebbett rather than the mighty stanchion.
As Canucks fans, we've been treated to some of the best games of the season the last couple weeks. There was the game in Toronto, with its end-to-end action. There was the game against Minnesota, which while still being a game against Minnesota, featured some of the prettiest goals of the year. The match-up with Detroit was probably the most entertaining for those who live for skilled puck-possession style hockey. But I'd file last night's game against San Jose under "game that felt most like a playoff game", and consequently, "most satisfying win of the season thus far".
I can easily see Vancouver-San Jose becoming one of the biggest rivalries to come out of realignment. Of course, for it to reach the level of Chicago, the Sharks would have to beat the Canucks in a playoff series first. Heck, even a regular season game would do.
News and notes from the team and around the league after the jump.
Vancouver Canucks news & notes:
- Relive last night's big win with these excellent recaps: vancitydan's, Pass it to Bulis, Canucks Army, Legion of Blog, Vancouver Sun, and The Province.
- The always entertaining "Game According to Twitter". [Canucks Hockey Blog]
- The Stanchion breaks down Joe Thornton's embarrassing and childish finger-wagging at Henrik Sedin. [Legion of Blog]
- Cory Schneider gets the call tonight in Disneyland. After a big, emotional win last night, hopefully we don't see a bit of a letdown against the worst team in the conference tonight. [Vancouver Sun]
- A few previews for tonight's match-up against the Ducks: Zandberg's, Canucks Army, and Sportsnet.
NHL news & notes:
- Jaromir Jagr returns to Pittsburgh tonight for the first time as a member of the Flyers. This should be great. Oh, Max Talbot too, who scored their Cup-clinching goal in 2009. [NHL.com]
- You have to watch this amazing NHL video put together by Janne Makkonen. Tear-jerker alert: he uses the final scene from the Rick Rypien tribute video at 1:26.
NHL - 'Our Way Of Life' HD (via r4ndomduud)
- Willie Mitchell has a lot to say about concussions. He talks about his own recovery and how a CD given to him by Ryan Walter really turned things around for him. [Frozen Royalty]
- Hey look, Rich Tocchet is in trouble again. And judging by the photo used, Gary Roberts feasts on the souls of the living. [Puck Daddy]