This has turned out to be a busy day for news, both about the Canucks practice and around the league. And, for some reason, a whole bunch of big news decided to be released just at the top of this hour. Since it appears that Jordan
hasn't figured out the trick of adding works full-time and doesn't have the time to add links to his post throughout the day yet, I'll give you a bunch of stuff right now:
- The Kings just fired head coach Terry Murray, and will have John Stevens fill in as interm head coach. Another one bites the dust! Rumoured potential replacements on Twitter include Darryl Sutter, Randy Carlyle and Bob Hartley. Oh boy.....
- The Devils just traded Rod Pelley and Mark Fraser to the Ducks for Kurtis Foster and Timo Pielmeier. You guys will remember Foster for spending time with the Wild and Oilers. I also remember Pielmeier as the hot Bakersfield goalie at my first Victoria Salmon Kings game. Yes, this game.
- The Sharks have activated Antero Niittymaki from IR. He will go to AHL affiliate Worchester for conditioning.
- There will be no suspension on Sharks player Andrew Desjardins for Saturday's boarding on Sami Lepisto. NHL just slaps him a $2500 fine.
- Another beneficiary of the fine-and-no-suspension treatment today is Brad Marchand, for slew-footing Matt Niskanen of the Penguins.
- A couple updates from The Province: Cody Hodgson is cleared to play tomorrow, and Roberto Luongo is expected to start against the Blue Jackets. Also noted this morning was that Sami Salo didn't skate today, having a "maintenance day".
- Via Puck Daddy, the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team has been reborn in Russia.
- Speaking of Russia, my eye-candy Nikita Filatov is heading back to CSKA Moscow of the KHL.
- If you're looking for more info on our opponent tomorrow night, go check out The Cannon. Among Columbus news today is Dane Byers being called up to replace Derek Dorsett, and Steve Mason's expected return to the pipes for tomorrow night.
- If you're looking to watch hockey tonight, the league's only game (Devils vs Lightning) is on TSN2 at 4:00 pm PST.
- If you don't get TSN2, you can watch Canucks.com features instead. Maxim Lapierre talks about his journey to the NHL (and here's part 2), Ryan Kesler talks about playing for Ohio State University, and Cody Hodgson speaks to the press today.