Last night went very well for the Canucks prospects, who beat the Sharks prospects 5-3 with 2 goals and a fight from Aaron Volpatti. I did see the 1st period of the game, and I was impressed with the speed Jordan Schroeder and Prab Rai had rushing up the ice. I also saw both goalies, Eddie Lack for us and Thomas Heemskerk for San Jose, standing on their heads with amazing saves. I did have to leave at the beginning of the 2nd period, but from what I read in last night's GDT, Rai and Bill Sweatt combined for an impeccable PK and Chris Tanev continued to shine. Today is a day of rest for our prospects (good thing too, since I'm out of the house until 9:30 this evening).
Links after the jump.
- A recap of last night's game.
- Added (9:53 AM): It was being said all summer that the sticking point in negotiations between the Ducks and Bobby Ryan was the term. Well, the 2 sides have agreed to a 5-year $25 million contract.
Added (9:55 AM): The divorce between Sheldon Souray and the Oilers is getting uglier and uglier. Now GM Steve Tambellini doesn't even want Souray to attend Oilers' training camp, to the dismay of Souray himself and many Oilers fans. Tambo tried with no success to trade Souray this summer. Souray is a big question mark with a hefty salary to take on for a team at this point. He has had shoulder and concussion problems plus he griped about being forced to come back early after his shoulder injury. Dumb for the Oilers to sign Souray at such a high price in the first place...and maybe Souray should stop his bitching. Many fans want Souray to be able to attend training camp and even play games to showcase his potential. Sure. But then again, if a team loses a top D-man to injury in training camp or preseason they may just come knocking on Tambo's door.
- Added (12:26 PM): The Canucks have released the schedule of their Main Camp, starting September 18. (Canucks.com)
- Added (12:34 PM): I believe Missy and the ladies will enjoy this installment of the Canucks Prospects Cam, as the boys take the bus to the airport.
- Another Northwest division preview. I'm starting to get sick of these, they all say pretty much the same thing.
- There's no rush for choosing the new team captain.
- Meanwhile, there's already a case for Henrik Sedin.
- Roberto Luongo is a little confused by the goalie coach change.
- Yep, Rogers and Shaw are still at it over those Sportsnet One games.
- The Devils have received a fine of $3M, and will lose one of their 1st-round draft picks in the next few years as well as their 3rd-rounder in 2011, for the whole Ilya Kovalchuk situation.