Update (10:00 PM): According to allhockey.ru, JP Barry, agent for Sergei Gonchar is saying the negotiations between his client and the Penguins is deadlocked. It looks more and more like Gonchar will hit the UFA market. This puts serious pressure on the Pens to sign Dan Hamhuis, whom they still have exclusive signing rights to. Those conversations are ongoing, but time is running out. The Pens could end up with neither defenceman on July 1st. I'd laugh. However, Rob Rossi from the Pittsburgh Tribune writes:
Early Tuesday I sent his agent a text asking about reports that Hamhuis desires to play in Canada, preferably Western Canada. (Hamhuis' lives in British Columbia, Canada). Here is the agent's response, which I received late Tuesday evening:
"Untrue -- Dan remains very open minded with respect to playing in the East versus the West or Canada versus the United States."
- Update (4:30 PM): The Canadiens have traded the enigmatic and controversial Sergei Kostitsyn and future cosiderations to the Predators for goalie Dan Ellis, Dustin Boyd and future considerations. (TSN) Kostitsyn and Boyd are restricted free agents while Ellis in a UFA. Is this the Habs' goaltending duo? Price and Ellis? Is this going to impress Habs fans?
- The Edmonton Oilers have waived Ethan Moreau, Robert Nilsson and Patrick O'Sullivan, so tweeteth The Hockey News on Twitter. Some intriguing yet enigmatic talent sitting right there. I would take Ethan Moreau on the Canucks. I've said that before. But at minimal cost. *EDIT: Other players currently on the waiver wire are: Todd Fedoruk (Lightning), Nathan Oystric (Ducks), and Donald Brashear,Aaron Voros, Patrick Rissmiller (Rangers). - Spector's Hockey
- Sad tweet from Eric Duhatschek this morning: If Sutter had just kept Jokinen and his expiring contract, it would have saved the $4 million over 4 years to make Kotalik go away. UGH!
- The Penguins have talked to Dan Hamhuis, telling him about the joys of playing in Pittsburgh. And really, there are a lot of joys there. You get your picture taken with Mario Lemieux at some point. And it's creepy. They should get an indication today of whether or not Hamhuis and his agent want to talk contract with them.
- The Canadiens have signed Benoit Pouliot to a 1-year $1.35 million deal. There was speculation that they were going to let him go. Remember, Pouliot was who the Habs got from the Wild in exchange for Latendresse.
- The Capitals have extended qualifying offers to all 9 of their RFA's: Eric Fehr, Tomas Fleischmann, Jeff Schultz and Boyd Gordon and prospects Jay Beagle, Chris Bourque, Andrew Gordon, Patrick McNeill, Zach Miskovic
Tomas Kaberle is reluctant to leave Toronto. Nothing is certain, Tomas.
- More updates as they come. Feel free to add more news in the comments section if you find it. It will most likely get posted here on the main page.