20 years ago the Canucks had maybe the worst draft in their history. Seriously. Couldn't possibly happen again right? Of course not.
Update (3:30 PM): Matthew Sekeres is tweeting that Florida is asking Mike Gillis for the Canucks' 25th pick in exchange for defenceman Keith Ballard. Bob McKenzie is more or less confirming this. (h/t andrew21nz)
Update: As we get closer to the buzzer, be sure to check out Western College Hockey Blog as they have compiled a great list of prospect profiles. Most of the notables should be there.
- a situation or undertaking whose outcome involves a high probability of failure or loss; gamble
Such is the vibe we get from our bossman heading into the 48th NHL Entry Draft tonight starting at 7 PM ET (Versus in the U.S., TSN in Canada). Saturday's action includes rounds 2-7 and will begin at 1 PM ET on the NHL Network.
Though Gillis doesn't think it's a great year for blueliners, our pulse check yesterday overwhelmingly indicates we'd like to see one scooped up at #25. Of course guys will slide up and down and it's always possible Gillis owns his crap shoot by taking Kirill Kabanov if he's available. Vancouver doesn't stand in the strongest of bargaining positions but anything can happen.
Time for Gillis to shine or - failing that - not stumble off a cliff.
Here's a recap of the moves made in the past few days (we'll update this as needed):
Bruins sign Mark Recchi to a reported 1-year $1 million deal - TSN. DAMN!
- Todd Bertuzzi - Resigned a two-year deal with Detroit
- Dan Hamhuis - Traded to Philadelphia along with a condition 2011 pick for Ryan Parent
- Jason Arnott - Traded to NJ for Matt Halischuk and a 2nd rounder in 2011
- Ben Lovejoy - Resigned a three-year deal with Pittsburgh
- Taylor Pyatt - Resigned a two-year deal with Phoenix
- Matt Cooke - Resigned a two-year deal with Pittsburgh
- Tomas Plekanec - Resigned a six-year deal with Montreal
- Brad Staubitz - Signed a two year deal with Minnesota
- Dennis Wideman - Traded to Florida along with Boston's 2010 1st round pick (#15) and Boston's 3rd rounder in 2011 for Nathan Horton and Gregory Campbell
- Jerome Samson - Resigned a two-year deal with Carolina
- Scott Niedermayer - Retired from Anaheim
- Dustin Byfuglien (spits, kicks dirt) - Traded to Atlanta along with Brent Sopel, Ben Eager and Akim Aliu for a 1st and 2nd round pick in 2010, Marty Reasoner, Joey Crabb and Jeremy Morin
- Patrick Marleau - Resigned a four-year deal with San Jose
- Joe Pavelski - Resigned a four-year deal with San Jose
- Colin Fraser - Traded to Edmonton for a 6th round pick in 2010
- Johnny Boychuk - Signed a two year extension with Boston
- Wojtek Wolski - Resigned a two-year deal with Phoenix
- Update: Mark Recchi - Resigned a one-year deal with Boston
We'll add the picks up on the top once the show gets underway. If you see any credible rumors or tweets, drop 'em in the comments.
Nice to have something to look forward to again, eh?