The Anaheim Ducks. Let me put this as simply as possible: I hate this team. Almost as much as the Flames, in fact. Some of you are probably wondering why I hate them more than other teams that have done worse to us in the past (cough 1994 Rangers cough). I can describe my reason in two words: 2007 playoffs. It was my 2nd season of following the Canucks closely (you can read more on that here), and the first time they were in the playoffs during that time. It was also the only time during my 3 years of high school that the Canucks made the playoffs. I remember the awesome times during the 1st round against the Stars, such as that quadruple-overtime and the thrill of winning Game 7. Then came the Ducks in the 2nd round. I remember when one of the Niedermayers hit one of our guys on the boards in a penalty-worthy way, allowing the other brother to take the puck and score the series winning goal seconds later. I was incredibly disappointed, and it got even worse when the Ducks went on to win the Cup. Since then, the Ducks have been my 2nd most hated team. And tonight, we play them.
Lots of links after the jump.
- Added: Relax, it's just parody, Sarah Palin didn't actually shoot down Alex Ovechkin. (h/t Puck Daddy)
- Added: Marian Hossa has been placed on IR, and the Blackhawks have called up a couple AHLers.
Tuesday's results, and Wednesday's schedule. If you want to watch a game before ours, TSN has the Penguins hosting the Maple Leafs.
Conference standings. The West is still way too close for my liking.
- Analysis of the current ASG fan balloting rankings. Also, all the current votes.
- Review of the NHL's Board of Governers meeting.
- The US National Junior team will have 8 of last year's gold-medallists returning for this year's tournament in Buffalo.
- Words to the wise: this is why you don't invite Don Cherry to speak at your city hall meeting.
- Puck Daddy analyzes some statistics at this point in the season.
- Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun hand out marks for how all the teams are doing so far.
- When talking to the media, Jonas Andersson seems to like shorter answers.
Brendan Morrison talks about Markus Naslund. There's a couple really cool videos about Nazzy posted on CanucksTV.com the other day, well worth a look.
- How well do the guys know Raffi Torres so far?
- Yes, the talk is true: Pass It To Bulis got the attention of Tanner Glass. (h/t to thelastjohnny for spotting it yesterday)
- Down on the farms: Victoria has been trading a bit the last couple days, acquiring a defenceman from the South Carolina Stingrays and a goalie from the Elmira Jackels. Meanwhile, Manitoba lost 5-2 to the Texas Stars last night.
- Be sure to visit Anaheim Calling, SBNation's Ducks home. Also be sure to visit Battle of California, Earl Sleek has great coverage and amazingly awesome cartoons.